Tuesday 28 February 2017

Pancake Day: Guilt-free Superfood Wholemeal, Vanilla & Cinnamon Pancake Recipe

I have been addicted to pancakes recently and have been having them most Saturdays for the last few months as a treat (I prioritise sleep over having a nice breakfast during the week) and by tweaking the batter and the toppings that I use every time, I think I have finally cracked the perfect pancake!

Although my diet is not dairy-free, I try to avoid it when alternatives can be used, so I use almond milk in my pancake mixture along with fibre-rich wholemeal flour, with toppings such as chia seeds and cacao nibs to put a super-food twist on the classic pancake. These extras are of course optional and the mixture ratios work just as well with white flour and cow's milk.

My toppings of choice for this particular batch (below) were cacao nibs, a healthy alternative to chocolate sauce (see ingredients list), a little natural yoghurt, raspberries, orange and kiwi, which created a lovely fruity tropical flavour. However, banana, strawberries & blueberries are just as delicious. Find your favourite combination and have fun with it!


Ingredients:
Method:
  1. Crack egg into large mixing bowl, then sieve flour into bowl and add milk.
  2. Add vanilla and extract and ground cinnamon (optional).
  3. Whisk ingredients together until a smooth batter is formed.
  4. Put 1 teaspoon of oil into a large frying pan on a medium heat and tilt pan to ensure oil is spread evenly.
  5. Add approximately a ladle of batter to the pan.
  6. Cook pancake for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
  7. Flip pancake (if you're brave) or use a tool to turn over.
  8. Cook other side of pancake for a minute or until golden.
  9. Repeat this process until you have used all of the batter.
  10. Stack pancakes, add toppings of your choice and tuck in! Voila!

Enjoy! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to know what you lovely ladies think. I love comments and I'm friendly I promise!